Saturday, August 18, 2012

We Are Important


The first week of school we focused on our names and how we are each unique and special.

Name Perimeter
One story that we  read was The Name Jar. We then put our names on grid paper and found the perimeter of our names. After we determined the perimeter we sorted ourselves into groups with people with the same perimeter. We were able to make a human graph with the data. In our class we noticed that majority of our students had names with 6 letters.



Decorated Names
One of my students' favorite activities of the beginning of the year is to decorate their names. I trace one for each student. After they decorate it with patterns and bright colors, I laminate it and display it in the room for the entire year! Some of my former 3rd graders come back to me and tell me that they still have their names displayed in their bedrooms.





Proud Wall
Instead of having a student of the week, our 3rd grade classes, are recognizing each student each month. They will be able to display their pictures on our class "Proud Wall". There will be a theme for the month. The month of August is "Fun in the Sun", my summer vacation!




All About Me Bags
On Meet the Teacher night the students were given their first homework assignment. They were to bring in 5 items to share with the class about themselves. The students were able to make connections with new friends. I had one of my young ladies share with one of my boys, "This reminds me of when I hunt with my dad." He was shocked that she liked to hunt too! :)






1 comment:

  1. Love your background and the fact that I can follow you now! :)

    ReplyDelete